Here are the 10 main reasons why wind energy is a very important renewable energy source:
1. Wind energy is the most cost-effective renewable energy source on global scale.
2. Wind energy doesn't emit harmful greenhouse gas emissions (a single 1-MW wind turbine can save around 2,000 tons of carbon dioxide in one year), and has overall positive environmental impact, despite the isolated cases of bird killings and noise pollution.
3. More wind energy means thousands of new energy jobs to help decrease current unemployment rate and boost our economy.
4. Fossil fuels will eventually become depleted and wind energy should be among the most important alternative energy sources that should replace fossil fuels in years to come.
5. Wind energy improves our energy independence and energy security. More power coming from wind farms means that there is a reduced need for expensive foreign oil import.
6. Wind energy industry is together with solar energy the fastest growing renewable energy industry in the world as wind power capacity continues to grow rapidly at both regional as well as the global level.
7. Wind power can be developed both on land as well as offshore. Many energy analysts look at offshore wind power as one of the top energy sources in years to come.
8. Anybody can build or buy wind turbine to harness wind energy and satisfy energy demands of your home given that there is enough wind resources in the surrounding area.
9. The global wind energy potential, both offshore and on land, is five times bigger than the world's current energy use in all available forms.
10. Wind energy is together with solar energy a key factor in transitioning our society from fossil fuels to cleaner, renewable energy sources.